Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sketch of the Week: California Design

California Design, 1930-1965 "Living in a Modern Way" exhibit just wrapped up at Los Angeles County Museum of Art, so I am collecting the sketches here - I was so inspired that I visited this exhibit multiple times.

This sketch is my entry for this week's Illustration Friday theme, "Shiny". I am impressed that this Airstream trailer from 1936 is so well-preserved.



One of my favorite items on display were various chairs. Many of the designs are still in use and still very stylish.



I also saw the Eames House living room - yes, everything in the entire living room was moved inside the museum and placed exactly like the original. No photography was allowed for this room, so I had to sketch it. Here is a partial view from one end, with iconic Eames lounge chair inside.

6 comments:

Cindy D. said...

These are great! I actually know what an Airstream trailer is, from watching the show American Pickers, where two guys search old barns around the U.S. and find great examples of American manufacturing when craftsmen were still artists (before everything became cheap and plastic). Lovely drawing and painting style!

Heather Sybil Chavez said...

love the trailer and the chairs

Michele Thomas said...

This is a great illustration for SHINY. also thanks for sharing the rest. great style!

Lily said...

Love the way you did the Airstream, very cool!

Shiho Nakaza said...

Thanks, everyone!

Viv said...

These are fantastic! :D